New Delhi – On 14th May, workers in various parts of the country caused chaos on the streets, despite the Central Government scheduling trains to transport stranded migrant workers to their hometowns. Some worker were killed in road accidents at some places.
1. Workers on Bellasis Road in Nagpada, Mumbai, staged agitation demanding to send them home to Uttar Pradesh. The Police lathicharged to disperse them.
2. Hundreds of workers blocked the highway at Gandhidham in Kutch, Gujarat. As a result, the Police lathicharged to disperse them, but the workers hurled stones at the Police. “Even though we paid for the train ticket; no train has been arranged for us yet,” alleged workers.
3. Workers traveling from Haryana to Bihar were stopped at Saharanpur in Uttar Pradesh. They alleged that the Bihar Government had not made any arrangements to bring us home. The Police then arranged for the workers to stay at a local shelter.
4. Many workers also gathered at the railway station in Bhatinda, Punjab, over rumours that a train has been scheduled.
5. Road accidents in Muzaffarnagar in Uttar Pradesh, Guna in Madhya Pradesh and Samastipur in Bihar have killed 16 workers and injured several others as they were walking home.