Railway official denies taking train fares directly from migrants

New Delhi – The Government has denied that it asked migrant workers seeking to return to their home States during the coronavirus lockdown to pay their own train fares. Railway did not sell tickets directly to the workers. The Union Railway Ministry is bearing 85% of the travel costs, and States are paying the remaining 15%. Workers are allowed to travel based on the list provided by the States, said Railway Ministry official.