The case of an attack on a procession on Hanuman Jayanti
Supreme Court puts stay on demolition
New Delhi – Many Police personnel were injured in violence after a stone was hurled from a mosque in a Muslim-majority area during the Hanuman Jayanti procession in Jahangirpuri, Delhi. So far, 25 people have been arrested in the case, including two minors. After the riots, the Delhi Municipal Corporation (DMC) started demolishing unauthorised constructions in the riot-hit area. The operation was to continue for 2 days. However, the Court put stay on the demolition after Jamiat-e-Hind filed a petition in the Supreme Court. The matter will be heard in the Court on 21st April. The anti-encroachment drive continued even after the Supreme Court directed authorities to stop it. The Municipal Commissioner said they had not received a written copy of the Court order and continued with the demolition. The anti-encroachment drive stopped after the Court’s order was received.
Jahangirpuri demolition case: Supreme Court continues stay order; hearing after 2 weeks https://t.co/43vLtjHlbl
— Republic (@republic) April 21, 2022
Delhi BJP State President Adesh Gupta demanded action against the rioters for unauthorised construction in Jahangirpuri. After this, the DMC announced that it would take action against encroachment. (Was the DMC sleeping when the encroachment started here ? And what made the DMC wake up after Gupta’s statement ? – Editor)
Congress leader Rahul Gandhi and AIMIM chief Asaduddin Owaisi strongly objected to the move. (Those who object to the anti-encroachment drive are violating the Constitution and laws of the land. Action should be taken against them for supporting encroachment – Editor)
Their homes were seized and demolished; their jobs were snatched; their temples were vandalised; they were threatened, raped, kidnapped, killed; they were ethnically cleansed.
And the same Supreme court said we will not reopen these cases because too much time had elapsed.
— Anand Ranganathan (@ARanganathan72) April 20, 2022
The people feel that the Administration, Police and rulers should always be active in taking action against every unauthorised construction in the country.
Congress and Communist Party were proactive to stop action against unauthorised constructions
Congress leader and advocate Kapil Sibal and advocate Dushyant Dave argued on the petition filed in the Court by Jamiat. They claimed that illegal and unconstitutional action is being taken against the construction and demanded Court intervention. The Court put stay on the demolition. Communist Party leader Vrinda Karat called up Commissioner of Police Deependra Pathak and asked him to stop the proceedings by showing him a copy of the Court’s order on his mobile phone. On the other hand, advocate Dave pointed out that despite the Court proceedings the drive has not stopped yet. So, the Court directed its General Secretary to immediately inform the Municipal Commissioner and the Mayor about the order.
Have the leaders of these parties ever made such an attempt to take against unauthorised constructions in the country ? Please note that most of the unauthorised constructions here are of religious fanatics, so these parties tried to stop it.