ED interrogates Sonia Gandhi

The case of crores of rupees fraud by National Herald

Mumbai – Congress President Sonia Gandhi was interrogated at the office of the Enforcement Directorate (ED) on 21st July in connection with the fraud of the National Herald. Demonstrations and agitations were held in the name of Satyagraha by Congress to protest the interrogation. Due to the incident, the leaders of the Congress and BJP parties are accusing each other.

Attempt to humiliate Congress leaders – Congress

BJP is trying to humiliate Congress leaders. Yashwant Sinha, the Presidential candidate of the Congress-led United Progressive Alliance, condemned the ED, saying it is a political revenge.

Congress protests are not Satyagraha but Duragraha – BJP

On the other hand, BJP claims the ongoing protests by Congress to be Duragraha and not Satyagraha. BJP leader Ravi Shankar Prasad alleged that all the wealth of the Congress party has been pocketed by the Gandhi family.

Earlier, ED had interrogated Congress leader Rahul Gandhi in this case. At that time too, there were protests and agitations by Congress.

What is the National Herald case ?

National Herald, a daily, was started by former PM Jawaharlal Nehru and Associated Journals Limited was its publisher. In 2008, the daily newspaper stopped due to a debt of Rs 90 crores. Later in 2010, a new company Young India Limited was incorporated. The Gandhi mother and son duo held 76% shares in it, while the remaining 24% was with other Congress leaders. Young India Limited bought Associated Journals Limited with a debt of Rs 90 crore by paying only Rs 50 lakh.

Leave a Comment