Imprisonment of up to 10 years for violation of this law !
Chandigarh (Haryana) – The Haryana Law Against Religion Conversion Prevention Rules, 2022, which was passed by the BJP Government in Haryana, has now got the approval of the Governor. Now conversion for marriage will not be allowed in Haryana. If someone violates this rule, he/she will be jailed for 3 to 10 years. There have been 127 cases of forced conversions in the State over the last 4 years.
— Zee News English (@ZeeNewsEnglish) December 20, 2022
Even if the conversion is done voluntarily, the DC of the District will have to be informed about it first. Its information will be posted on the notice board of the DC office. In case of objection, a complaint can be made in writing within 30 days. DC will investigate and decide whether the rules have been violated in the conversion.
(Credit : TV9 Bharatvarsh)
Provision of punishment
1. Jail for 1 to 5 years for forced conversion
2. Provision for a fine of at least Rs 1 lakh
3. Jail for 3-10 years for hiding religion for marriage
4. A fine of at least Rs 3 lakh will be imposed
5. Jail up to 10 years for mass religious conversion