Berlin (Germany) – A German law firm has accused former Pope Benedict of failing to take appropriate action in four sexual assault cases. These cases date from 1970 to 1980. At the time, Benedict was the Archbishop of Munich. Benedict has also been quoted in a report on the cases published by this firm, in which, he denied the allegations and said that he is not at fault.
During his tenure as Archbishop of Munich from 1977 to 1982, Benedict transferred a pastor named Peter Hullermann from Essen to Munich. In Essen, the pastor was accused of abusing an 11-year-old boy. Peter was reassigned to pastoral duties despite facing charges. Peter was convicted in 1986 for sexually abusing children and was sentenced to a term in prison. It is alleged that he was working with children due to Benedict even after getting convicted and the Church had neglected this fact.
The law firm said that Benedict could be accused of wrongdoing in four cases, including one in which he knowingly accepted a priest into his archdiocese even after the cleric had been convicted of sexual abuse in a criminal court. https://t.co/80y1uwsW1h
— The Washington Post (@washingtonpost) January 20, 2022
3,677 children were sexually abused by pastors from 1946 to 2016 !
A study commissioned by the German Bishops’ Conference in 2018 concluded that 1,670 clergymen in the country had committed some form of sexual misconduct against 3,677 minors between 1946 and 2014. However, the real number of victims is thought to be much higher.
A law firm’s report on how abuse cases were handled in the Archdiocese of Munich and Freising incriminated retired Pope Benedict XVI, with lawyers accusing him of misconduct in four cases during his tenure as Munich archbishop.https://t.co/xF62B8fJ2m
— America Magazine (@americamag) January 20, 2022
The current Archbishop of Munich, Cardinal Reinhard Marx, had last year offered Pope Francis his resignation over the church’s “institutional and systemic failure” in its handling of child sex abuse scandals, but the Pope rejected it.