Kolhapur (Maharashtra) –Various pro-Hindu organisations in the city gave a call to go on strike on the 7th of June 2023 to condemn the insult of Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj. On the Coronation Day of Chhatrapati, some local people kept tyrant Aurangzeb and Tipu Sultan’s images as their social media status, thus insulting Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj. Members of different pro-Hindu parties, organisations, and other Hindus started gathering at Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Chowk from 9.00 a.m. to condemn the insult of Chhatrapati. Later, there were arguments between the devout Hindu activists and Police, leading to a scuffle. Police lathicharged the people, creating more confusion. There were instances of stone-pelting at a few places on the night of the 6th of June 2023 after the mob was attacked. Police arrested a few Hindus at night when the other devout Hindu activists took a stand that they would not leave the place till the nabbed Hindus were released but then, Police resorted to lathicharge.
In the background of the happenings of the 6th of June 2023, Police ordered a curfew till the 19th of June 2023. Thousands of Hindu youth, however, gathered at Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Chowk, disregarding the curfew order.
- Police started caning the mob, which created confusion and a stampede. As the mob went helter-skelter, local Police and State Reserve Police started beating up everyone whom they could catch, thus, creating a huge commotion.
- A few reporters were also beaten up. Some of the devout Hindu activists were covered with blood as they were hit on the head by Police. Police burst tear-gas shells to disperse the mob.
- Cases of stone-pelting have also been reported. As the Police beat up devout Hindu activists, the mob vandalised an autorickshaw and some shops.
- Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Chowk was found strewn with piles of shoes.
(Credit : India Today)
Other happenings in the city
- The city bus service was stopped at 10.00 a.m. to prevent untoward incidents.
- A large Police force was deployed at almost every crossroad in the city.
- This confusion affected devotees who wanted to have the Darshan of Shri Mahalakshmi Devi.
- Mahendra Pandit, the Superintendent of Police, informed reporters that five individuals were taken into custody in connection with keeping objectionable ‘status’.
- All mobile companies were instructed by the local administration to stop the internet service in the afternoon.
|Hindus gathered at the venue, raised slogans of ‘Jayatu Jayatu Hindu Rashtram’, ‘Jai Bhavani Jai Shivaji’, etc. There were banners waved on the occasion, which said that every voice that opposes Chhatrapati, would be quelled.|
|Many devout Hindu activists, who had gathered near the statue of Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj, were carrying posters of the film ‘The Kerala Story’. The local devout Hindu activists were displeased with a few incidents that took place in the recent past in the Kolhapur District.|
Response of some of the eminent personalities present at the venue of agitations
Law-breakers will not be spared ! – CM Eknath Shinde
CM Eknath Shinde
Every citizen’s cooperation is required to maintain law and order in the State. I have personally talked to the concerned officers from Home Department, since maintaining law and order is their duty. People should not take the law into their hands. All should cooperate. The Home Department is taking care to prevent untoward incidents. The Home Minister is also personally looking into this matter. Law-breakers will not be spared.
Aurangzeb’s glorification would not be tolerated ! – Dy CM and HM, Devendra Fadanvis
Dy CM and HM, Devendra Fadanvis
The State Deputy Chief Minister and Home Minister said while talking to reporters, “Anyone who glorifies Aurangzeb in Maharashtra is bound to create anger. We will not tolerate the glorification of Aurangzeb. I appeal to everyone to keep away from breaking the law. The masterminds of this incident will have to be found.”
It is time for Hindus to awaken! – Shobhatai Shelar, President- ‘Akhil Bharat Hindu Mahasabha’
We are the soldiers of Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj and will not tolerate his insult. We cannot sit quietly now when Hindu women are persecuted. It is time for Hindus to wake up to the situation.
Mastermind responsible for insulting Chhatrapati Shivaray needs to be found ! – Dhananjay Mahadik, MP- BJP
Dhananjay Mahadik, MP BJP
Aurangzeb and Tipu Sultan cannot be anyone’s ideals. It is necessary to find persons behind such a ploy. Arrests of people insulting Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj will not be enough, but who are their leaders responsible for it should be found out. The loyalty of the activists arrested in the ‘insult’ case should also be traced.
Youth should not become puppets in the hands of instigators ! – Raju Shetty, former MP, Swabhimani Shetakari Sanghatana
Raju Shetty, former MP, Swabhimani Shetakari Sanghatana
The ideology promoted by Shahu Maharaj rules Kolhapur; therefore, all the recent happenings are making us introspective. It is my appeal to young friends not to get influenced by people provoking them and become puppets in their hands. Only poor people become victims of such riots. Children of the people, who incite riots, are never involved in such incidents.
Oppression by Police at Kolhapur ! Had this mob been of Muslims, would Police dare to lathicharge them ? Police exhibit bravery only before Hindus, and always bend to religious fanatics. It is the past record of the Police.