Increase in hate crimes against Indians in the US !
Washington (USA) – Hate towards Indians is on the rise in the US. While ordinary citizens of Indian origin in the US are receiving threats, now Indian-American lawmaker Pramila Jayapal (55 years old) has been threatened over the phone. A man warned her to return to India by hurling abuses at her over the phone.
1. Chennai-born congresswoman Jayapal recently shared the audio message of the threat sent to her on social media. In this threat message, a person can be heard threatening her with dire consequences and asking her to go back to India.
2. ‘We cannot accept violence as our new norm. We also cannot accept the racism and sexism that underlies and propels so much of this violence(sic)’, tweeted Pramila Jayapal.
3. Pramila Jayapal is the first Indian-American lawmaker to represent Seattle in the US House of Representatives.
Typically, political figures don’t show their vulnerability. I chose to do so here because we cannot accept violence as our new norm.
We also cannot accept the racism and sexism that underlies and propels so much of this violence. pic.twitter.com/DAuwwtWt7B
— Rep. Pramila Jayapal (@RepJayapal) September 8, 2022
Indians in the US are becoming victims of racism
1. On 1st September 2022, a person of Indian origin was abused by hurling racist remarks in California.
2. Earlier on 26th August 2022, an Indian origin woman was attacked in Texas by an American woman, who also used abusive language.
What does the US have to say about this, while it otherwise accuse human rights getting trampled upon in India ? What right does the US have to talk about human rights in India when it does nothing to stop racist attacks in its own country ?