Cooking food in non-stick utensils is dangerous for health : ICMR, NIN

Courtesy : Filmipop

New Delhi – The Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) and the National Institute of Nutrition (NIN) have released revised dietary guidelines for Indians. They have advised against using non-stick pans for cooking and urged the use of eco-friendly utensils instead.

Non-stick utensils release toxic fumes when heated

Non-stick cookware contains chemicals such as Perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA) and Perfluorooctane Sulfonic acid (PFOS). When heated to high temperatures, these chemicals can emit toxic fumes, posing health hazards to those exposed. These fumes can cause respiratory problems, thyroid issues, and certain types of cancer.

Continuous use can damage the chemical coating on non-stick cookware, particularly when cooking at high temperatures. As the coating deteriorates, chemicals from the non-stick surface may leach into the food. This risk is heightened when cooking acidic foods or using metal utensils, making it a significant concern.