New Delhi – The World Health Organization states that cancer is the second largest cause of death in the world, killing 9.6 million people in 2018 alone. WHO has issued warnings that certain routines and food habits may trigger cancer.
Refined flour (maida), microwave popcorns, potato chips and processed meat may cause cancer. Packed food items, and food adulteration cause health problems. It is best to avoid such food items to prevent cancer.
1. Sugary fizzy drinks (carbonated drinks) are harmful to the body. Consuming them in large quantities may cause death. Excessive sugar in these drinks triggers the growth of cancer cells. They do not contain anything of nutritious value. Artificial colours and flavouring agents used to prepare the drinks may also cause harm.
2. Bags of microwaveable popcorn contain chemicals that breakdown to release perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA). PFOA is suspected to cause cancer of the liver, kidney and small intestine. PFOA forms a layer on the corn kernels as they pop in the microwave. Popping corn kernels without the bag on gas or stove does not form a layer of PFOA and are safe for consumption.
3. Processed meat contains elements that cause cancer, so they should be avoided.
4. Regular consumption of alcohol affects the liver and kidneys. This increases the probability of cancer.
5. The white colour of refined flour comes from chlorine gas used in the bleaching process. Refined flour has high a Glycemic index (foods with high glycemic index tend to release glucose quickly into the bloodstream, while those with lower glycemic index tend to do so slowly). This increases blood sugar levels rapidly and affects insulin levels.
6. Potato chips and French fries contain concentrated fat and salt. This adversely affects the human body. The cooking process for potato chips and fries produces acrylamide – a carcinogenic chemical. Cigarettes too contain acrylamide, making it a high-risk carcinogen.
The biggest drawback of junk-food is that people who regularly eat it become victims of distress due to negative energies !
The ill-effects of modern diet are showing in the present generation in the form of obesity, poor health, various diseases, etc. The disadvantages of adopting modern dietary norms exceed those of not following them. The biggest drawback of consuming junk-food is that people who regularly eat items that are Tama predominant and attract distressing energies, become victims of distress due to negative energies. Eating sattvik food helps maintain good physical, mental and spiritual health.