Justice Sandesh made the remark while hearing the bail
Bengaluru – Karnataka High Court judge HP Sandesh Monday alleged that he was threatened with transfer for pulling up the additional director general of police (ADGP) of the Anti Corruption Bureau (ACB). Justice Sandesh made the remark while hearing the bail petition of former Bengaluru Urban tehsildar Mahesh PS, who was reportedly caught while accepting a bribe of Rs 5 lakh in May 2021.
Karnataka High Court judge HP Sandesh Monday alleged that he was threatened with transfer for pulling up the additional director general of police (ADGP) of the Anti Corruption Bureau (ACB).
Read More: https://t.co/2okndKkwtE
— Express Bengaluru (@IEBengaluru) July 5, 2022
1. Mahesh had submitted a statement claiming that he received the bribe on the instruction of the then Bengaluru Urban DC J Manjunath. Notably, a few hours after Monday’s hearing, the ACB said that it has arrested IAS officer Manjunath.
2. This is a threat to the independence of the judiciary and a threat made to the court, he added.
3. Pulling up the ACB and the advocate appearing on its behalf, Justice Sandesh said he was not afraid of losing any position. “I don’t fear anyone, I am the son of a farmer and ready to fight till the end. I am not affiliated to any political party or ideology but only to the Constitution. I have not accumulated any property after becoming a judge but have sold 4 acres which my father had,” he said.
4. Taking a dig at the advocate, the high court judge further said: “Are you protecting the public or tainted persons? It is a noble profession. The black coat is not for the protection of the corrupt. Corruption has become a cancer and it should not reach the fourth stage. The officers are being extorted after threatening them with search warrants.”
5. “The whole state is suffering because of corruption issues. If Vitamin M (money) is there, you will (ACB) protect anyone. I am aware of the happenings. In how many cases search warrants have been issued and how many have been executed,” he asked.